Monday, August 2, 2010

VMware configuration on my desktop

While I use the non-persistent live-cd version on netbooks for pentests, I have a persistent copy running in VMware on my desktop. Here are the things I do each time I need to reinstall it.

Download the VMware version
Go to the downloads page and grab the saved VMware virtual machine. It comes with the VMware tools already installed. I use VMware workstation, but I think this will work in VMware player.

Edit VM settings
Since I'm running on my desktop machine, and not a netbook, I need to bump up the settings a bit.
  • Memory: bump up to to 2-gigs (I have 12-gigs on desktop)
  • Processor: bump up to 2-cores (I have 4 hyperthreaded cores on dekstop).
  • Network: change to "bridged" with "replicated state"
  • Display: change to "accelerate 3D graphics"
  • Shared folders: enable, all my development is done in the shared folders
fix-vesa
After booting the first time, run the fix-vesa command. This enables it to run at 1280x1024 full-screen on one of my monitors, rather than 1024x768.

automate networking
I edit /etc/networking/interfaces so that just eth0 is listed. I then run the following script to auto-start networking at startup.
update-rc.d networking defaults

change hostname
Change /etc/hostname to something more descriptive than just "bt", something like "vmpwnsauce". In the past, I used to name my home machines something unrelated to what they were, like "playstation3" for a Windows machine. That confused me too much, so now I rename everything according to what they are. (Like most geeks, I've got 20 different machines on my home network).

SSH daemon configuration
sshd-generate
update-rc.d ssh defaults

auto logon to the desktop

Start networking and install "rungetty":
apt-get install rungetty
Edit /etc/event.d/tty1 and change last line:
#exec /sbin/getty 38400 tty1
exec /sbin/rungetty tty1 --autologin root
Edit /root/.bash_profile:
startx

update package list
apt-get update
apt-get install aircrack-ng
References: http://www.question-defense.com/2010/01/14/backtrack-4-final-installation-in-vmware-with-vmware-tools

No comments:

Post a Comment